Impactions can be caused by improper positioning of the developing tooth bud. This can cause the tooth to fail to erupt into the mouth. Impactions can also be caused by early loss of primary teeth or crowding of teeth. Wisdom teeth are the most commonly impacted teeth. Canines and premolars can also be impacted.
This problem should be corrected because it can:
- cause damage to the root structure of adjacent teeth
- interfere with the sinus cavity
- leave unwanted spaces
- lead to improper functioning of the teeth
- cause premature wear of the teeth
- case asymmetric alignment of the teeth